Trail length and time required
Pitch length 750 m. 3 – 3.5 hours, both ways (incl. descent) approx. 4.5 – 5 hours. Descent via signposted hiking trail leading down to the ridge in south-western direction. Further on past Finstertaler Stausee water reservoir. At the dam you turn-off to the right towards Dreiseenhütte. From here you walk down to the village of Kühtai.
SAFETY ON THE VIA FERRATA
The Austrian Alpine Club has published 10 recommendations for climbing on via ferratas in order to increase safety:
- Plan carefully
- Destination should correspond to personal abilities
- Use complete set of professional climbing equipment
- Don’t access the route in the event of a thunderstorm
- Check wire rope and anchors accurately and critically
- Partner check at the access point
- Maintain sufficient distance
- Talk clearly when overtaking someone
- Watch out for falling rocks
- Respect nature and environment
Equipment: helmet, climbing harness and complete via ferrata set, via ferrata gloves, appropriate shoes, hiking poles for the descent (optional).
Tips, hints and linksMore details about climbing in Ötztal:
Getting thereKühtai is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
In Oetz you leave the roundabout in direction Ochsengarten/Kühtai. After approx. 30 minutes you reach Drei-Seen chair lift in Kühtai. Take the lift and follow the signposts in direction Gaiskogl/ Klettersteig (via ferrata). Continue along the red marked route in the foothills of Gaiskogl ridge, crossing the gravel field, until you reach the access point (20 minutes).