Length / Time
300 meters of difference in altitude on a 450 meter long climbing route. Climbing time: approx. 3 hours; 3,5 - 4 hours incl. descent.
- age: 9 years and older
- size: at least 1,40 meter tall and taller
- surefootedness, free from giddiness and sporty
- experience with climbing
Safety informationSAFETY ON THE VIA FERRATA
The Austrian Alpine Club has published 10 recommendations for climbing on via ferratas in order to increase safety:
- Plan carefully
- Destination should correspond to personal abilities
- Use complete set of professional climbing equipment
- Don’t access the route in the event of a thunderstorm
- Check wire rope and anchors accurately and critically
- Partner check at the access point
- Maintain sufficient distance
- Talk clearly when overtaking someone
- Watch out for falling rocks
- Respect nature and environment
Tips and hintsMore details about climbing in Ötztal:
Getting thereUmhausen is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in a southern side valley of the Inn valley - the ÖTZTAL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
Passing Oetz , you follow the Ötztaler Bundesstraße towards Umhausen. At kilometre 14,3 turn left to Umhausen and then turn right to Niederthai. Follow the course of the road for approx. 500 meters. Parking is possible at the paid parking lot of the Ötzi Village / bathing lake.
From there you reach the access point of the via ferrata in 20 min.
Parkingparking at the paid parking lot of the Ötzi Village / bathing lake
EquipmentComplete climbing equipment required.
Basic Equipment for Via Ferratas
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Via Ferratas
- Via ferrata set
- Climbing harness
- Climbing helmet
- Via ferrata or hard-wearing safety gloves
- Positioning lanyard / personal anchor system with screwgate carabiners for resting
- Via ferrata belay kit if required (when accompanying beginners and / or children)
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.