The original route of stage 11 is currently not accessible due to a mudslide in the Leierstal! There is a local, signposted detour directly from the intersection of Antoniusweg, Achrainweg & Erlangerweg to the soccer field in Östen. After crossing the bridge, the original route can be re-entered.
UMHAUSEN –> Neudorf –> Ötztaler Ache –> Östen/Hopfgarten –> Tumpen –> Habichen –> Lake Piburger See –> Piburg –> Haderlehn –> SAUTENS
A NATURE TREASURE AMIDST THE DANCE OF ELEMENTS
The elemental power accompanies you on every step through beautiful and varied nature. Refuel your energy at the Stuiben Falls, discover new perspectives at the Birds of Prey Park, follow the Iceman's footsteps at the Ötzi Village outdoor park or enjoy deep relaxation in the swimming lake - Umhausen has an elemental experience for all ages.
The following kilometers of the trail promise a wonderful mix of rivers, forests and meadows. Deep green forests take you straight towards an unrivaled natural jewel, lake Piburger See. In summer the lake makes a popular destination for young and old as it features an excellent network of walking trails. One of the fabulous hiking destinations is the Kluft area and the nearby Kanzel vista point overlooking the picturesque village of Oetz from a dizzy height. In Sautens, the stage's final destination, a century old tradition is still preserved: schnapps distilling! Also apricots are growing here thanks to the area's favorable climate. To collect the typical Ötztal masterwort the local schnapps distillers climb up to 2000 m above sea level - the root is used for fine apple brandies with scents of anise, fennel and citrus.
Surefootedness, a good physical shape, stamina
No major difficulties
Tips and hints
Did you know that…
… lake Piburger See originates from an ancient gully in the valley, leading parallel to the Ötztal? After the last Ice Age the lake was dammed up by a huge rockslide. What's best, the lake reaches water temperatures of up to 24° Celsius in summer.
More details about hiking In Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/wandern
Getting thereUmhausen is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in a southern side valley of the Inn valley - the ÖTZTAL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingThe following parking facilities are available in Umhausen:
- Umhausen Parking Mure - free of charge
- Umhausen Bischoffsplatz - payable from 07:00 to 18:30 hour
- Tumpen / Lehn-Platzl At the parking place Engelswand climbing garden (payable)
- Parking Köfels (payable)
EquipmentStandard hiking equipment, sturdy hiking boots
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.